Sleep Inducing Foods
Don't go for sleeping pills, eat food which helps in inducing sleep.
It is important to get good night’s sleep for one’s mental and physical well being. One should try and go to bed around the same time every night which should not be too late so that the body gets used to a sleep pattern.
Another essential thing to remember and follow is to eat the right kind of food before going off to sleep and never overeat anything.An amino acid called tryptophan and a naturally occurring hormone known as melatonin help in regulating sleeping pattern according to the National Sleep Foundation, US.
Foods which induce a good sleep are :
- Banana – High level of carbohydrate found in Bananas make tryptophan more available to the brain which helps one sleep soundly. Magnesium found in banana also relaxes one’s muscles and nerves. So it is in the category of superfood as far as sound sleep is concerned.
- Milk – Protein and calcium found abundantly in milk have a calming effect on the brain which leads to a good sleep. Serotonin which is known as serenity boosting neurotransmitter is produced by tryptophan which is an amino acid present in milk.
- Honey – Honey with milk stimulates the production of tryptophan and inhibits the activity of orexin that keeps one alert.
- Almonds – Good fats, amino acids, and magnesium are all found in almonds which relaxes and improves the sleeping pattern of the person eating them. Almonds and honey can be added to a glass of warm milk to make a perfect sleep-inducing drink
- Oats – Oats have melatonin which helps in relaxing. Oats can be eaten if one is really hungry at bedtime. Others like warm milk, banana, honey, and almonds can be added to a bowl of Oats to make a more potent mixture. Besides all this, one should avoid spicy, caffeinated or high in fat food or drinks before bedtime because they disturb the digestion thus leaving the person with an uncomfortable sleep.
- Walnuts are also a good source of tryptophan which enhances the sleeping pattern. Besides warm milk, one can try cheese, yogurt or any other dairy product for the calcium in them is helpful in inducing sleep. A salad with lettuce also has sedative properties. Lettuce leaves can be brewed in water for 15 minutes and then sipped with a little mint just before sleeping. They calm the body and the mind and relaxes them totally resulting in a peaceful sleep. White rice has a high glycemic index which makes it a magic food to help you sleep better. Stress-busting chamomile tea is associated with an increase in glycine, which is a chemical that relaxes nerves and muscles thus acting as a sedative. It calms one down too.
Having a sound sleep is a luxury denied to many in a fast-paced world we live in. Most of the ailments spring from not having a good quality sleep, especially during the night. Being aware of the sleep-inducing foods and then including them in our daily diet is a first step towards being healthy. So why delay? None of the above-mentioned foods are difficult to find in our next door grocery shops. So go for it and enjoy a good night’s sleep and the much-needed zzzzzz.
ABOUT AVNI KAUL:
Avni, Founder of Nutri Activania (www.nutriactivania.com) believes in a holistic approach to optimal living and considers other wellness factors such as sleep, exercise, environmental exposures, and stress levels to create an individualized nutrition plan. She does not believe in gimmicks or starvation plans. Which is why she insists on being called a ‘wellness coach’ and not just a ‘dietitian’).